Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Birmingham Chronicles, Day 2

There are lots of little things that need to be taken care of when there are two senior citizens in the house and one of them is sick. Little errands here and there involving post-office runs and trips to the store or things like that. My sister and I are zipping around doing them together, and that's fun.

Mom has good days and bad days, which I think is the nature of the beast. What's been interesting is to see how she responds to Lloyd. He hops up on her bed and she pays attention to him and he's his sorry self...and Mom watches him constantly and remarks on how cute he is. I think pets are good medicine.

When we brought up possibly going to lunch today, my mom didn't look too thrilled. I wondered if that's an indicator that she can tell whether or not the next day will be a good one or a bad one.

My mom likes game shows on television. I don't, but I play along anyway. I think I'd be a pretty good contestant on Jeopardy, Family Feud, and/or Wheel of Fortune...although the potential for dysfunction for my family on Family Feud on national television would keep me sticking to a game show where it was only me. Of course, then my own dysfunction would be out there for everybody to see, so I'll just continue to dominate the suckers on TV from the comfort of my mom's room.

I got to visit my in-laws for dinner last night. They're really nice people and I've been blessed in that area when I hear horror stories from my friends. An added bonus was that I got to spend the hour they watched American Idol (still not understanding why America's into it, however) with my neice and we chatted. Muppets, SpongeBob, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, stories of how she got that boo-boo on her foot (it involved playing kickball with flip-flops). She was pretty impressed with how many muppets I could name and new what color they were. I got 22 of them. I failed on remembering SpongeBob's pet snail's name (GARY! *smacks forehead with hand* I KNEW THAT!). She was amazed at my sunglasses and how they magnetically stayed on my glasses. We drew. She's at such a great age.

Called home. Shelby's sick. Yuck.

Came home and watched Boston Legal with my mom. Lloyd slept at the foot of the bed, which made her very happy.

And today, I slept til 7:30AM. This throws my whole day off kilter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home