Friday, February 24, 2006

The Cable Guy

The cable guy's time frame was a little skewed. They told my wife to be ready for their arrival...oh....I dunno...somewhere between 7AM and 4PM yesterday. They arrived at 4:30PM. They took 4 hours.

They didn't fail to deliver the goods, though. We now have 188 channels of digital goodness. The picture is clearer. We also went with their Internet service and it's certainly faster than the old company.

What got me was the indifference of our former company when we informed them we were making changes. Yeah, they made a token counter-offer after they said that the current company's offer must've been an "introductory" offer. We read the fine print. It isn't. But their approach was more or less one of, "Well, okay. We understand. Whatever." But hey, we're getting more stuff, and better stuff, for less money per month than the old company, so we win. Yay, capitalism!

I've heard mobile phone providers do the same thing. It's almost as if they treat new customers better than the current ones. You know, "I'm sorry, ma'am. That offer is only good for new subscribers. Your current contract won't get you a new phone or rollover minutes...and it expires in 8 months. Tough luck."

Anyway, the cable guy was nice and extremely helpful when getting the internet set up. They made all sorts of attempts at jokes and chatting, which I was pretty impressed with considering these guys had been at it for 12 hours and I don't think the average joe is too friendly with them. He lacked some Mac knowledge but everything worked out swimmingly in the end...and he even got everything completed in time for my wife & daughters to watch the figure skating finals at the Olympics. The customer service was surprisingly good.

In my initial discoveries during my very brief search through the menu...

...I discovered two music channels I'll have to check out: Arena Rock and Metal.

...The On Demand feature didn't offer too much for free.

...There's some 800 channels on the menu. We only get about 25% of them, but most are the popular movie channels and the 8 or 10 versions of them (you know, east, pacific, etc.).

...I'm getting concerned about the clicking the button to order movies. While the price is easily competitive witht the local video store, at least there I'm counting the cash as I spend it.

So, tonight, if you need me, I'll be scrolling through the menu checkin' stuff out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home