Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Five On The First

On the first of each month I started asking a few questions to get to know my readers better, so here is today's question and my five responses:

"What were five times that you caught yourself in the moment saying something like 'I can't believe this is happening to me right now?'"

In no particular order:

My wedding day when I saw Tracy for the first time in her dress.

The night of my seminary class' graduation when I was sitting with my 5 and 3 year old daughters at the Ballpark in Arlington instead of sitting through ceremonies (they'd already taken enough of my time and money, so I thought I'd spend it with my family who got cheated out of both during that time in my life).

In New York City, I saw "Stomp" at the Orpheus theatre, and that was the first time I'd ever been truly moved by a play or movie. The message of that show far overrides the impressive dance stuff, and the hour and a half you wait to get it only makes it that much more wonderful.

The time I stood in pulpits in Haiti and The Netherlands, preaching God's word to cultures and situations you'd never think an average Joe from Alabama would ever find themselves in. Each time the moment shocked me and I had to gather myself to go forward.

The births of my two daughters. Each one was unique and special in their own ways...and I can tell you that when people tell you that you're watching a miracle take place, they cannot mean the surgical procedure that takes place when you're in that room...that is a surgical procedure, plain and simple. When the "magic" happens is when you KNOW your wife is okay and then they hand you a cleaned-up, bundled-up, smelling-good baby. That's the miracle.

So, what are yours?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home