Thursday, November 11, 2004

The Visual Presentation

Okay, so if you kick up enough dust behind the scenes at work, those that are in charge will put you on a committee. It's true in churches and I'm sure it's true in the business sector if what I've read in "Dilbert" is anywhere close to accurate.

I wound up on this web-site subcommittee for our church.

Our first task is to come up with "who we are." The idea is that when you first hit our web page, what comes on your screen should visually communicate "who we are." (My first suggestion of a bunch of 40-somethings taking kids to soccer practice in an SUV fell flat, squeezing a Bible in the picture somewhere...well, that fell flat, for obvious reasons. I was joking. Kinda. I think.)

Anyway, I've been thinking about it and have a meeting today. Here's a few of my ideas:

My Brilliantly Gifted Artistic Wife takes pictures of brides as part of her photography business. She has this one shot, taken from a distance, of a bride in full gown, standing on an arched bridge over a creek, full of greenery around it. I'm thinking we could blur it or something and make that the photo we put our menu over. You know...bride of Christ and all that.

Another is to take Van Gogh's "Bible In Still Life" and put our menu over that. For those of you haven't seen it, it's a dark piece of an old, murky, family Bible sitting on a table. From the interpretation, it's a photograph that shows exactly what we're up against as a church...the impression that the churc is dead, stale, wordless, and irrelevant. Maybe I'll post the photo later today if I have some time.

One last one is to have my Brilliantly Gifted Artistic Wife take a photo that defines "who we are." I can't really give her much direction other than that and since she attends there she could do something excellent without my direction. If I were to give her a suggestion of a picture to take (which she loathes it when I do that), it would be sharply focused on a well-annotated Bible in the foreground, in our main auditorium, with our well-lit cross above it visible and unfocused in the background.

So, for those of you who know my church, help me out. Whatever you do, DON'T click on the link on the left. It isn't our church at all...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home