Sunday, June 20, 2004

Mixed Emotions

Yesterday afternoon, at the request of some friends visiting from The Netherlands, I was watching a soccer match between Holland and the Czech Republic on pay-per-view. It's an important game, they tell me, as it's pivotal to the teams of both nations in their quest for the EuroCup 2004.

As far as soccer goes, it was exciting. There were 35 shots taken on goal between the two teams. Plenty of action and drama as the Dutch team scored two goals in the first 20 minutes and hit the post on a couple of others.

Then things turned around for the Czech Republic. A bad pass turned into a goal, and then they scored again after halftime. Finally, they scored with some two minutes to go in the game, winning 3-2. In the words of the BBC Sports commentators: "It was exceptionally well-played and dramatically riveting."

Why all this about a soccer game? I do appreciate the passion of the world for it (especially since I enjoy another "slow" game--baseball) but I didn't have a personal deep interest except that I had friends on both sides of the coin.

See, my Dutch friends were deeply involved emotionally. Early highs and late lows. They were bummed, and I imagine it lasted a few hours until their trip to the rodeo that night.

And I have two dear friends Michael and Katie, finishing up missions work in the Czech Republic, who I could envision in a pub somewhere, surrounded by strangers, hoisting some dark European lager in celebration. Hopefully, some happy soul purchased a round for the house so they'd get the best of both worlds: The win and free stuff.

And I wished I could've been there with them if they were in such a situation. An American living room with bummed Dutchmen ain't all that great a way to spend a rainy Saturday afternoon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home