Thursday, June 17, 2004

A $1 Glimpse At The Ash Heap

I'm not a regular player of the Texas State Lottery. In fact, I have a general rule that I don't even consider playing unless the payoff gets up over $75 million. I mean, if lightning's gonna strike, why would I want to settle for a measley $4 million?

This adds up to about two bucks a year in lotto tickets.

Anyway, I forgot to purchase a ticket for yesterday's drawing, which promised a $120 million payout. No one won yesterday, so don't worry, I'll have another chance to get a ticket on Saturday for that night's drawing.

Tracy and I have this discussion a couple of times per year...what we'd do if we won it. First, we'd definitely take the "cash" option instead of payouts over 20 years. I'm not exactly sure why, but it would, in effect, cut our winnings in half to do it that way. Now we're at $70 million. I'm guessing taxes would take it to $40 million.

There's the obligatory new home with a study for me, a photography studio for Tracy, batting cages for Kelsey, dance studio for Shelby, pool & hot tub, and a couple of cars. Nothing fancy on the cars, but definitely something convertible for Tracy. We're not car people. Definitely a playroom & big screen sports/movie room.

There's a mountain chalet somewhere, probably Aspen, Colorado. A beach condo somewhere, most likely Gulf Shores, Alabama.

Then, it gets a little fuzzy. And, I'm guessing we've still got about $35 million left to spend...and the best we can come up with is to save it, or give some to worthy causes and all...

I guess there are limits to materialism...and even the discussion of this stuff makes me cringe at my own propensity towards it because I know how hollow and temporary posessions are.

Seems to me that once you upgrade all your stuff, you still have to face life and reality...and while a goofy discussion over "what if" might be entertaining, it's also revealing. There's a lot to be said for being content no matter what your circumstances.

And some people spend their entire lives chasing after stuff that ultimately ends on the ash heap. Or not being content. Odd.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home