Wednesday, February 11, 2004

Really Not Getting It

Granted, I'm not into the latest technological advancements at all. I mean, my "bells and whistles" computer is pretty much a glorified word processor and even electric door locks and windows in a car seem like more things that can go wrong than a true help.

Cell phones. Again. Yesterday, in line at a fast-food restaurant, the mom and her two kids. Mom is chatting with later from work dad on hers. Kid A is bowling on his. Kid B is chatting on hers.

Yes, I see the value of cell phones, particularly in the technologically developing parts of the world.

But can't we limit this nonsense? My proposal: Everyone gets 10 minutes a month. Vitally important phone calls only.

I remain convinced that we need to reclaim personal solitude and quiet in our lives, and cell phones are a major hindrance to that and the long-term habits that are being developed in suburban America are not worth whatever good stuff comes from cell phones.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home