Saturday, December 20, 2003

Weddings

On my agenda last night was the wedding of a former student in my ministry. It was in the living room of his childhood home, with close family and friends in attendance. There was a dinner beforehand, too, for everybody.

The bride was beautiful in her dress. The groom was emotional in his suit. The father of the groom performed the ceremony. They played punk rock on the CD player after they kissed. Everybody had a camera and used it. There was cake and punch and champagne and toasts and the whole deal...they threw red glitter when the couple left.

It made me wonder why the BIG CHURCH WEDDING tradition started. With all the money for caterers and florists and tuxedos and bid old reception halls and all that jazz.

The nicest weddings I've been to are the smaller, more intimate affairs, and I'm just thinking out loud, but they're just as married and will have nice memories of their wedding day no matter how much money they spend as long as they're with people they love and enjoy.

Resolved: No matter how much money I spend (or don't spend) on my daughters' weddings, they should be long on the things that last and short on frills and fru-fru.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home