Saturday, October 25, 2003

I've talked about this before, but no one seems to be able to help me...so I'll try to be more clear.

Occasionally, this "messenger service" shows up on my screen when I'm on-line. These messages start with phrases like "message to unsafe user on vulnerable system" and warn me that my "system can invaded by hackers" and so on and so forth. The problem is that you can't do anything until you've clicked "ok." There's a web site you can buy software to stop this stuff at the end of the message.

It's important for you to know that these messages are distinct from "pop ups." I've got a blocker for those. It's some glitch in Microsoft operating software.

The way I see it, it's like someone repeatedly calling you to tell you that you can pay a small fee for getting them to stop calling you. When you think about it, it's really electronic extortion. And I will NOT cow tow to the digital equivalent of mobsters offering to "protect" my business.

So, I can't see paying anyone to stop these things. Isn't there anybody out there who knows a free way to prevent it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home