Tuesday, September 16, 2003

This morning I went to a breakfast in which author Philip Yancey was the speaker. I was expecting a very large crowd of around 200 or so, and only 50 showed up...I love it when things like that happen. It allowed the publishers to give us the extra books (sweet for me!) and gave the author more time to autograph the free books for friends (sweet for my friends!).

In addition to hearing the author's passion for the topic of his new book Rumors of Another World, there was also a Q&A session afterward.

Yancey was asked about what he had learned from his negative experiences in the church of his youth (of which he has written extensively), and part of his response piqued my interest: "My generation grew up in a Galatian church, and the youth of this generation are growing up in a Corinthian church."

Now, that was an introductory statement to the answer he was about to give, but I think he's on to something there. See, a Galatian church is one that struggles with rules and regulations to define spirituality and a Corinthian church is one that struggles with the impact of the culture on spirituality.

I think his observation is dead-on. The question of the day is what are we going to do about it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home