Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Answering the few Questions

A few days ago I put out the call for questions you'd like for me to answer...and the list was short, but I'll answer the ones I got.

The first was regarding Facebook and if I think it'll fade or morph. I don't think there's any question that it will do both. As it fades, it'll morph into something else. I like it, though, because the connections I've been able to keep are valuable to me. I'm able to keep in touch with family and former students and high school friends I never would've been able to in the past since FB helps over distance.

Another was if I think the Rangers will fade or hang on and win the division. History says they'll fade in August, but it looks like they're making a sincere attempt to win now with the recent addition of Cliff Lee. They were hoping Benji Molina would help shore up the catching weaknesses, too. They have a shot to win it, but their schedule gets tougher in the 74 games they have left...and the A's are known for playing especially well in the 2nd half of the season. With 14 games left with the Angels and a steady diet of Red Sox and Yankees in the 2nd half, smart money and history say they'll fade. But I really hope they don't as, with the purchase of my 3-game plans, I have 2 playoff seat priorities.

About Yo'Ville: I have no comment. I don't play any games on Facebook at all, and I block all updates of others from my news feed. So, I really can't say.

My solution to immigration: Much of that involves the behavior of Americans. See, I'm of the opinion that supply and demand works, so if businesses stopped hiring illegal immigrants then illegal immigrants would stop coming. Of course, that would require that those of us in suburbia would have to pay a little more for certain jobs we have done that we don't want to do...seriously, do we really care if the company we hire is using illegal labor to provide the service at a more reasonable price? Hardly. And I know folks in my neighborhood hire day laborers who are very likely illegal. So, we contribute to the problem. It's the same for the drug trade. If Americans either legalized certain herbal drugs or stopped taking them, many of the problems would simply go away. Of course, there's also the other side of the coin, which is that we need to make it more streamlined for the "poor, tired, huddled masses yearning to breathe free" to do that very thing. There are no easy answers to the problem. But it is a problem that I think starts with us.

Lastly, what do I think of the current president these days? I think he's an incredibly intelligent man who is learning that it's an awful lot easier to run for president than to actually be president. Since my GenX sensibilities cause me to keep expectations VERY low regarding politicians at any level, suffice to say that I didn't have very high expectations anyway. I don't think he'll win a 2nd term because his policies, both foreign and domestic, seem very scattered to me. I can't really tell what he's focusing on at any given moment nor what he hopes to accomplish. However, I will say that I wish more in my Tribe would spend more time praying for him that whining about him. I wish they'd be more respectful to the office. I mean, a good reading of 1st Peter 1 and 2 would be in order...and those were words penned to people who were being burned as torches and thrown to the lions for sport. We have it pretty good in the good ol' U.S. of A., and I believe checks and balances will always work in the end. My guess is that Bill Clinton was right: It's the economy, stupid. And there are long-term concerns regarding that.

Well, there you have it. Any more?

3 Comments:

Anonymous chris said...

We have playoffs priority on our seats? Cool...

6:42 PM  
Anonymous Ian C. said...

Congrats on seeing Facebook as a connection, not obsession. Go Rangers! I agree on both Obama and illegal immigration. Something tells me the politicians will give in to irrationality, fear, and panic rather than good planning, acceptance, and careful action. But somehow, we will all continue to live our lives, even if it's in a different setting or climate.

I do have one question though, and it's probably a little touchy (I'll understand if it's not answered). Are you satisfied with the roads our church has taken and where we are going? Are there things we as a body need to improve on?

2:41 PM  
Blogger Robyn Rochelle E. said...

Hey... I like FB too - especially since I live half-way around the world. But... like i said... i enjoy blogging world.

3:17 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home