Saturday, May 15, 2010

Something is not right with me! Something is not right with me! Something is not right with me! How was I supposed to know?

If you're a faithful patron of The Diner, you're well aware of two consistent personal themes: First, I lead a charmed life. Second, I'm continually feeling far afield from my fellow man. Sometimes I'm overwhelmed by the vanilla of the former. Other times I'm bewildered by the chocolate of the latter. Most of the time it's a swirl. Anytime you can make a life analogy with a 3-lever soft-serve ice cream dispenser, more the better.

Generally, I'm enmeshed in, but not insensitive to, the vanilla former. My wife carries a load of laundry through the living room and the first thought in my brain is how beautiful she is. Kid1 will text me and ask for an update on the Texas Rangers game she's not able to see. Kid2 will be excited about the French manicure she got for prom. The dog will get all excited about going to get the newspaper. The newspaper will be there (and 2 are there on Sundays!). I have a home filled with personal and professional noise that gives it life. My home, which I jokingly refer to as being located in the 'hood of Flower Mound, is more than most in my line of work ever get.

In short, my world is one full of love, cable television, SUV's (so nice to be past the minivan stage), newspaper delivery and meaning. I ain't missing any meals or victimized by genocide or having my livelihood threatened by corporate oil company mistakes or typing "billion" instead of "million."

And I didn't even bring up the Greatest Gift. I'm working with the reality that you understand that is understood.

And I didn't even bring up my sister or in-laws or nieces and nephews.

And I didn't even bring up my friends...Facebook or otherwise.

Specifically, I'm surrounded by, but not impervious to, the chocolate latter. I won't bore you with a list of observations regarding suburban homogeneity, the rat race, the gridlock, the misplaced dependencies, the unrealistic expectations, the lack of creativity/vision, helicopter parents, the state of The Church in America, et al, ad infinitum. All these (and oh so many more) cause (in the words of Mike Ness of Social Distortion) "Uninvited feelings. They come without warning and stay too long." Anytime you can quote a punk band, more the better.

In short, my world can be full of apathy, misunderstanding, unrealistically high expectations (the spiritual formation business never ends), boredom and confusion. I'm looking at conformity and intellectual laziness and putting God in a box by biblical illiteracy and presupposition and pursuit of a life that ends up in an ash heap.

And I didn't even bring up the times when I feel unloved and distant from the God who supposedly loves me and has a wonderful plan for my life. I'm working with the reality that you understand that I understand feelings aren't necessarily truth.

And I didn't even bring up feeling like you're on an island all by yourself even when you're surrounded by the most loving people you know.

And I didn't even bring up the accrued disillusionment from my own unrealistic expectations and misplaced dependencies from my Tribe over the years, which I won't bother to list.

Today, the lever I pulled is the chocolate latter.

I'd have preferred the vanilla former.

Or even a swirl.

Suffice to say the annual springtime funk arrived this year with a vengeance.

Should I apologize in advance to the patronage for the transparency?

No matter. I'm hitting "publish post" anyway.

10 Comments:

Anonymous kris said...

it's like you read my mind, dude.

9:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is good. really good.
and dont apologize...
who apologizes for chocolate?

10:29 AM  
Blogger Hollywood said...

Choose vanilla.

6:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you open to meeting with a Spiritual Director?

If you are I'd like to help you find one.

Like you, I have been stuck. Wondered if I'd ever be unstuck. Spiritual Directors have helped me.

Send me an email if you are interested in exploring the possibility.

I'm not being flippant. I pray for you and sincerely care about the journey you find yourself on.

Cheri

2:00 PM  
Blogger Schweers' Mom said...

Bailey has a very good point.

"In short, my world can be full of apathy, misunderstanding, unrealistically high expectations (the spiritual formation business never ends), boredom and confusion. I'm looking at conformity and intellectual laziness and putting God in a box by biblical illiteracy and presupposition and pursuit of a life that ends up in an ash heap."

Nice. Really liked that paragraph.

At least you can talk about your world right now. I can't even really go into details about mind. Wish mine were as easy as chocolate or vanilla. Swirl would even be fine.

Hence, lots of journal writing and mostly likely I'll be on the Double Secret Probation list.

2:38 PM  
Blogger Free and Living said...

brent, you are an amazing man of god who has encouraged so many people as you journey, write and process life. thanks for being exactly who you are and thanks for being a beautiful mentor to my hubby. you really helped us both especially in those first couple years. i appreciate you.

10:06 PM  
Blogger Ian said...

These are my favorite blogs, man. I wish more people had the guts to be as transparent. You're only as sick as your secrets, right?

verification word? Ballable.

ballable: the ability and/or capability to be (or engage in) ballin'

1:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Then Ronnie James Dio died... You can't catch a break!
Jilly

7:49 AM  
Blogger Brent said...

About Ronnie James: Let's just say that when Mob Rules, Rainbow in the Dark, and Neon Knights were in the cassette player...the '77 Cutlass Supreme windows came down and went a LOT faster!

About a "Spiritual Director": I'm not sure that's necessary at this point. I pretty much experience something like this every spring and these things tend to have a relatively short shelf life. Preaching in the main services this weekend will give me the chance to focus on something else for a few days, and communion with the high school Wednesday night hearing what God's done in their lives this year should keep the funk at bay or eliminate it completely. I'm open for help if things continue, though. Thanks for offering.

8:20 AM  
Blogger Steve said...

can we talk about toppings?

1:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home