Monday, June 29, 2009

So, Today I'm Thinking...

...that summer seems like it's going by so fast, but yet it also feels like it's just getting started.
...that with mission trips and all that jazz my brain hasn't settled into coherent thought just yet enough for more consistent blogging.
...one last thing on summer: Did anyone else check the L.I.S.D. calendar for next year and catch that their last day of school is set for June 9? June 10 if there's a needed snow day? This means that graduation festivities will span the following weekend, so summer won't get up and running until June 14 or so. Seems weird to me, but I have a kid in the Dallas ISD, too, and they get out on June 3. That seems more reasonable.
...that I'm glad my mother-in-law is progressing nicely. For those of you unaware, she was having chest pains and went to get a stress test last Thursday. They got her off the treadmill and into surgery to perform a quadruple by-pass. Suffice to say that the doctors seem pleased with the results and she is beginning what I assume will be a lengthy recovery period. Tracy is there and I'm glad to be getting consistently positive updates.
...that I'm letting all of you know that Transformers 2 was truly terrible. Sure there was some eye-candy (either stunning computer generated images or Megan Fox, depending on your bent) but if we keep spending money on this kind of stupidity Hollywood will keep making 'em.
...so my friend Melissa had her last Sunday on staff at CBC yesterday. She's ministered to my family (my Christmas tree decorating every year is highlighted by ornaments that were inspired by years of December crafts in her Sunday School program). She's ministered to me. We've laughed and been through an awful lot together over our 10 years on staff, with 6 of those having an office right next door to hers. It's rare you get to work with somebody you truly admire professionally (and personally, for that matter--if you know her story, well, she's a pretty tough cookie). Neither of us are big on goodbyes so we've just avoided that. But I'll miss her, that's for sure.
...Regina Spektor is a truly brilliant artist.
...Kid1 returns Thursday from, well, 24 days of London, Madrid, Rome, Florence, Venice, Luzern, Paris and Amsterdam. I'm pretty intrigued about seeing the kid I get back from this kind of experience.
...that with Tracy with family in Birmingham, Kid1 traipsing around Europe, and Kid2 at a sleepover, I had a bachelor night last night. There was pizza. There was DVR'ed baseball (of which our team got one hit. Against a 3-6 starter. The slide has begun and I believe we'll see a .500 team by the end of July). There was Saving Private Ryan. Not bad for a bachelor night, but I'm glad it's an exception and not a rule. I think it's fair to say I'm a better person because of the women in my life.
...chatting with a fellow dads-of-daughters club member, we were trying to decide what the best words were for a dad to hear from said daughters. We came up with "Daddy's home" when said by truly excited under-10 girls, and "Dad, you're the BEST!" when said by truly grateful teenage daughters.
...that our church has 7 former students serving at Pine Cove Christian Camps this summer as counselors. I'm grateful to the Pine Cove staff (that I've worked with for 13 years) for taking our students to the next level after they leave our ministry. It's pretty cool to plant and watch them water truly gifted ministers.
...I'm grateful for friends that look me squarely in the eye and ask me how I'm doing. And then don't let me get away with pat answers. No. You don't get details on this one.
...that last night's mission report to our church was very cool (and Bill and Charlie's video was underrated, if you ask me. I loved that). I like the reality that our service time changes give us the chance to do more stuff like that on Sunday evenings.
...why is it that I go to the trouble to shine my Doc Martens and then regret doing it? I shine them for weddings (and, if you missed the former Anne Radimecky's wedding day, well, she was happy and beautiful and A.J. has chosen very well by making her the current Mrs. Ridgeway) and it makes 'em look like they haven't been through all they've been through. If I were on one of those clothes makeover shows, I'd fight tooth and nail to keep the Docs and the Chuck Taylor All-Stars. They'd make me throw them away, though, which only hurts their own credibility if you ask me.
...I wish I could spend more time with some of the great couples I've done weddings for, but they haul off and get lives of their own. What's that about?
...starting up the new session of P90X today (yes, I know I was going to do that earlier, but mission trip prep and the actual execution of the trip got me focused on other stuff). Gotta get the veggies and yogurts and good carbs and such after dropping off bags of clothes (me and the missus have decided to de-clutter after living in this house longer than any place we've had, so we'll see how that goes) at the local charity. So, I need to get on with my day off.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home