Thursday, February 12, 2009

Just A Jumble Of Things Today

...that if you missed the first game of qualifying for the 2010 World Cup last night between the United States and Mexico, well, you missed everything that makes soccer the most popular sport in the world. The nation of Mexico hasn't won their last 11 games on US soil, so their country desperately wants to win against us. In fact, the Radio Shacks in Mexico City were selling voodoo dolls in our uniforms with "Gringos" on the back where the name is supposed to be. In a tactical move, we chose to host our home game in cold-weather Columbus, Ohio because we knew it would irritate their team...not to mention ensure a more pro-America crowd (when they used to host them in Dallas or San Diego, Latin American fans would purchase tickets in droves). The play early on was spirited...and that's putting it mildly. This fired up that pro-America crowd, too. And, I maintain that the instant a world cup type goal is scored is one of the most exciting moments in sports. In a nice hometown twist, the coach's son scored both our goals in the 2-0 win.

...proud dad alert: Kid1 has a sculpture going to the state finals. That's in the state of TEXAS, folks. It's kind of a big deal. Irritated dad alert: I haven't seen it. The thousands of pictures she takes with her mobile phone and not one exists of this piece. All I know is that it's metal sculpture (she loves working with a metal cutter & such) and it's a feather that apparently has a "wow" factor.

...watching my friends become grandparents it funny to me. I wish we'd all had a grandparenting mentality when we were raising our infants/toddlers/small children. Grandparents are incredibly relaxed and prone to all sorts of wonderful gestures of love.

...I don't think we're paying enough attention to the war we all forgot was going on in Afghanistan. Things ain't going very smoothly there if what you read the papers is even close to true.

...it's pretty amazing how much of a difference you actually "feel" after only 10 days of good diet and consistent exercise. I wonder why it's so easy to get out of those habits when you experience the results every single time.

...sometimes Christians can say the most discouraging and hurtful things to each other, particularly in the areas of childraising and parenting choices.

...sometimes, when you're with your junior/senior guys Bible study, you can sit back and marvel at how the Holy Spirit teaches them. I mean, all I do is study very hard (usually 3 to 4 hours for a 45-minute lesson). Then I'll just ask basic observation questions. Or ask them to put that sentence in their own words. I'll maybe highlight some Greek word I think REALLY enlightens the passage (like when Paul refers to himself as a servant by using a different word than he usually used--in this case it referred to being an "under-rower." You know. One of those guys who sits in the hull of an 1st century ship and rows a boat to the beat of a lead drummer? Pretty cool, huh?). Then I'll ask them how we can apply the passage here and now. Exegetical study together is very cool...and listening to what they're learning is so encouraging. Of course, they'll get a major case of stupid-head 10 minutes afterward, but, hey, man. Spiritual growth is a slow business. I'll just keep plantin.' Somebody else will water 'em later. God will cause the growth. And they pay me for this. Classic.

...colleges sure must spend a lot of money on all things postal. And they kill a LOT of trees.

...I really miss my former staff sometimes. Just doing life and ministry together with Kristy, Steve-O, Nathan, Wes & Lizzie, Heather, Lindsey, Katherine, et al, made you go to work actually wondering what really cool thing was going to happen that day. Charlie's got that same vibe, so now we just need to pray God will bring us a few more kinda sorta like him with ministry talent and unique personalities.

...time to go listen to a podcast I like while I get ready. I'm really into these two guys sermons right now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home