Tuesday, November 25, 2008

So, Today I'm Thinking...

...that somebody should get on that mobile phone etiquette book writing. The number of times each day that a mom nearly wrecks her van into me while I'm sitting still or the college kid won't shut up in the restaurant (ignoring her friend she's actually with) or folks checking up on texts during movies or a dad ignoring his kids at breakfast. Let's get it together in this area, folks!
...that Ed Young didn't complete the "sexperiment" he started, but I'm wondering why he would go on the national news to talk about his sex life one way or another.
...I heard yesterday that the movie "Twilight" made $70 million last weekend. The demographics showed that 75% of the audience was under age 19. It was also 75% female. Moral of the story: Teen girls will joyfully pay to see romances featuring the hunky undead. Next up: Hunky zombies?
...those folks at Starbucks in Fort Worth where I loiter take the name-learning thing seriously. All the baristas know me and when several said "hi" yesterday by name, I overheard some people at another table say, "I dunno. He must be a local celebrity or something. Maybe he's on the radio." Is it bad if you know all the baristas names, too?
...that I don't understand that when I'm taking some vacation time it means that my razor goes unused, but it seems like an automatic rule.
...that I have a tattoo appointment today and I'm terribly excited about it.
...that it's time to call the chimney sweep, the firewood guy and get the mindset ready for the big blue tupperware containers of Christmas lights & decor.
...that I'm no sucker. I wait the extra day in December to get my car inspected to get a bonus month on the inspection sticker.
...that it's easy to joyfully eschew the evening of a rare Sunday off when one of your college students asks if you're available to baptize her on that particular Sunday because she's home for the holiday. Very cool.
...something else cool: when a former student mentions that youth ministry might just be what they want to do with their life when they're home for the holiday.
...even cooler: one of my high school students and one of my college students will actually baptize the two middle school students they led to Christ a month ago.
...that I don't understand why hackers hop on Facebook or Myspace and advertise web sites. I don't know of anyone who hits anything hacked to them.
...that I'm amused at the reaction of adults when I tell them that high schoolers rarely, if ever, check e-mail anymore because it's too slow. And then I tell them that if I have an announcement to make to them they only way they'll get it is if I Facebook the group or text message the group, they seem bewildered.
...we should pay more attention to the value of sleep.
...another quote from the common-sense-is-cutting-edge file: "But one of the things I know for sure is that those who are looking to us for spiritual sustenance need us first and foremost to be spiritual seekers ourselves. They need us to keep searching for the bread of life that feeds our souls so that we can guide them to places of sustenance for their own souls. Then, rather than offering the cold stone of past devotionals, regurgitated apologetics or someone else's musings about the spiritual life, we will have bread to offer that is warm from the oven of our intimacy with God."--Ruth Haley Barton. Aside from the obvious irony that I've offered someone else's musings and the bordering-on-flowery writing, well, I found it encouraging.
...that I know I'm getting old when a band I really want to see live is playing on a bill with four other bands that I know will be loaded with the hip/with-it college folks and I consider not going because I don't want to be the oldest guy there.
...that I don't think there's any question that Bourne is WAY better than Bond as a spy. Dollar for dollar, Bourne rules.
...that if Auburn were to beat Alabama, Notre Dame beats U.S.C., Oklahoma State beats Oklahoma, A&M beats Texas and Florida State beats Florida, well, could there be a better way to exploit the stupidity of the BCS? As long as I'm wishing, I wish I had a pony.
...that I need to get on with my day of nothing to do on staycation but get ink done and oil changed!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home