Saturday, September 06, 2008

Before We Get Started...

Many of you know that I've been wrestling with the idea of writing a book for quite some time. Issues abound. Topic? Target audience? Time prioritization? I could go on...but they all sound like excuses--to me and to everyone in orbit around me. And then I'd set up this false dichotomy of closing down The Diner and writing the book.

Like I said, the dichotomy is false (but made for a good excuse) because the reality is the two can be blended...and my guess is that blogging constitutes a "poor man's copyright" as you'd have proof of date on publication. Hence, I thought I'd combine blogging and one feeble attempt at essaying around Proverbs.

By way of the ground rules, please feel free to critique and correct, but keep in mind that I'm not editing in this arena. It's the UNEDITED first draft and they will remain so as this series sporadically meanders. So, my concern isn't necessarily with typos and choice of words (there's always a better word, right?), but rather with your reactions. The way your brain reacts and the way your heart reacts. That's of greater concern than the editing discipline at this point.

So, I saw in a movie I saw a couple of nights ago, an aspiring playwrite decided to corner his nemesis/critic and tell him the idea behind the new play he wanted to write--before he started writing. In the dialogue, the writer had been given a "definite maybe" by the critic (who was 13 and only wrote for the school newspaper, which made the scene funnier) regarding the idea. Then he grabbed the critic by the shoulder and asked him, "But...what if it sucks?"

To which the critic replied, "That's the chance every artist has to take, isn't it?"

Well, I think it's time to take at least one chance...

...so...

...before I get started...

...do we have a deal on the ground rules?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home