Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Needing To Be Prompted

Nothing going on of much substance, so I hit a "blog prompt" site. There are tons of 'em.

I agreed to go with WHATEVER came up first (they usually have these buttons you can click if you don't like the one for that day and it'll give you a new one)...

...and the prompt was this: Name 10 things you like to do that others generally don't like to do.

Okay, so here goes:

10. Blog. I've found that most people prefer the Facebook or MySpace thing because it's pretty much short bursts of pictures, updates, & clever sayings you can send back and forth. I like the interaction on ideas, both mine and those of others.

9. Watch baseball. Most people I know use words like "slow" or "boring" to describe baseball. I find it fascinating and can get engrossed in the game both in-person and watching on television.

8. Read. I have no idea why, but I thoroughly enjoy reading pretty much anything. Biographies. History. Magazines with pop culture focus. Fiction. Non-fiction. You name it. I just enjoy reading.

7. Listen to sermons. Maybe it's an occupational hazard, but with the iTunes podcast listing, I can listen to sermons from all over the world for free. Sure, I've got my favorites both locally and nationally, but it's pretty fun for me.

6. Watch tv shows and movies with teens as the subject. Maybe it has to do with growing up in the John Hughes era of movies. You remember? Breakfast Club, 16 Candles, Pretty in Pink, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Some Kind of Wonderful, etc.? And then there was television like Beverly Hills, 90210 and Dawson's Creek. For some reason, I enjoy all this stuff.

5. Go to movies alone. I used to think this was odd...like when you see somebody eating alone in a restaurant. But not anymore. I've done this on my days off while the family is gone and it's actually kind of enjoyable.

4. Browse in bookstores and CD stores. I don't even have to buy anything or even have the intent to buy anything. I like looking over bookshelves and rifling through bargain CD bins (yes, including bargain DVD bins). I might not have money at the time or whatever, but I can lose track of time and stay for well over an hour in either place and it seems like time flies.

3. Listening to sporting events on the radio. I grew up in a world of cable television and ESPN and all that, but my first 10 years of sports consciousness actually was before the advent of sports proliferation on tv. So, if you wanted to keep up with the Auburn game, you sat near a radio. Same for Atlanta Braves baseball. You listened to games then. And I developed a fondness for radio's more descriptive play-by-play and can remember in tense moments rocking back and forth with an ear near the transistor hoping that the Tigers could hold on 4th and 3 to end it, or sitting up from the supine position on the bed when Ernie Johnson would say, "There...is a drive...deep left field...that ball is gonna beeeeeeeeeee......OUTTA HERE!!! Home run for Ralph Garr and the Braves take a 4-1 lead!"

2. Disc golf. Same benefits of "real" golf (outside, moving around, getting away) with about one third of the time spent and having about $75 saved each and every round. I don't play nearly as much as I'd like, and there's a course near our house.

1. Work. I'm blessed to have a job where I enjoy what I do very much. Even when it's terribly hard there are some intrinsic benefits to it because you spend time serving people. I know lots of folks that don't like what they do but they do it because they get to serve their families by providing for them and that makes it worthwhile for them, but I get to actually enjoy what I do during the majority of my waking hours.

So, those are mine in no particular order.

Why do I feel like I had a mini-failure by resorting to a blog prompt site?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home