Monday, June 30, 2008

At The Halfway Point

Since the 2nd half of 2008 starts tomorrow, I decided to check in on my New Year's resolutions to see how those are working out thus far:

First, losing 25 more pounds. Well, I'm in the ballpark of what I weighed on January 1. Give or take a pound or two. But I don't think that's going real well except for a three week stretch in February and some half-hearted attempts to get going on that. The peculiar thing on that is that when I eat less & exercise more I could probably drop that in 6 months.

Second, learning 12 songs on the guitar. Seeing as how I haven't even picked up my guitar in 4 months, it safe to say that I'm not close to this one, either. Maybe I should scale this one back to learning the remaining 20% of about 25 songs I know how to play 80% of. I have this habit of learning the main parts of a bunch of songs and leaving the more difficult parts alone, and then moving on to to a new song. Maybe I should pick up the guitar first.

Third, learning to make a full, hearty breakfast: This one was easier than I thought. I did it for "linner" on New Year's Day. You know, lunch & dinner? We used to do New Year's brunch but my teenagers stay out later & sleep in longer so we delayed this a few hours. So, I did it...but I need practice. Some of the pancakes were too dry and some of the bacon was more crisp than two family members preferred, so it wasn't a loss, but I should do it more.

Fourth, on reading 52 books: I've finished 20 thus far, making me 6 behind. This is somewhat slow for me, but in the past I've also found some 1,500 page classic from Barnes & Noble to devour in the summer also. I may have to scale that back and read 6 or 7 smaller books, but I might get there. Plus, I've got two weeks of vacation coming up in August so I might be able to get caught up some--both of those are looking like early afternoons will allow for a few hours a day of reading.

Finally, making a really good chili. Not so much that but rather having your own very special type of chili that people want you to make when they come over because it's so good. I haven't done this one yet. I solicited recipes and got some, but never tried them.

So, how're you doing on your new year's resolutions?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home