Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Thinking Out Loud

Several people have been commenting, in this forum as well as by other means, that I should write a book. Some in response to my "19 Things I Learned In 19 Years of Youth Ministry" series and others just on sheer volume of blog entries and stuff like that.

And I'm wondering if there has to be a book.

I mean, isn't there some way to have a writing presence in Christian ministry without using the vehicle of the "Christian publishing" or "Christian retail?"

Sure, I could use the extra cash. Who couldn't? But that's awfully presumptuous that what I write is worth reading to the degree that people would pay for it. And, extra cash, in and of itself, is a lousy motivation to do anything.

It seems to me that "self-publishing" a book is a financial outlay early in the hopes of recouping the investment through your own marketing and such. I've had friends do that, and they got a book out and sold enough copies to make a little bit of dough, most of which was just enough to push them into a little higher tax bracket and the government got most of it. Most of their books now sit in boxes in their garage and they mail out 4 or 5 per month after initially strong sales a few years ago.

So, maybe blogging is the best way to do ministry.

It's free...for the service and for the "end-user."

It allows me complete creative control.

And it allows for interaction through comments, both on the blog and "in person."

And it's daily.

So, I'm sincerely asking if there's a more creative and innovative way to have a writing ministry. Maybe through a local "collective" or some other similar activity.

Anyone? Anyone?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home