Wednesday, September 07, 2005

I meant to comment on this a few days back...

...and I got sidetracked by football and natural disasters and cartoons. My mind can be all over the place at times.

Anyway, as many of you know I'm a huge fan of RealLivePreacher.Com as he is what I'd like to be as a blogger...and he was commenting on the marketing of sacred things the other day and I thought I'd put this out there as food for thought:

"By and large I have no connections to the mainstream, corporate church experience. One of the benefits of being a pastor with a “real job,” as they say, is that my church isn’t driven by an intense need for constant growth just to keep up with the ever-growing staff that is needed to keep up with the constant growth. See how that runs in circles? Sound familiar? It should. That kind of circular logic drives much of our marketplace today.

"I need new hardware to keep up with my new software that is designed to take full advantage of my new hardware."

At Covenant, we are free to be who we want to be, even if there are only a handful of people in our area who want to join us. And to tell you the truth, a handful of people has always been descriptive of us. It seems like there is always a handful of weary pilgrims who want to step out of the ecclesiastical rat race. Somehow they find their way to us. A lot of people attend for a time and then move on. That’s okay. There’s a zillion generic, mega-churches around, but there is only one Covenant Baptist.

Now at the same time that churches are trying so hard to be “relevant” (whatever the hell that means) to our culture, businesses are trying to be relevant to churches. Church is big business. REALLY big business. There's a lot of money to be made in the god game."

Your thoughts?

If you'd like to check out the overall entry, you can get it here and scroll down to August 27.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home