Sunday, September 25, 2005

Defragmenting My Brain

Lots of stuff kicking around in my brain today, but none appear to have a common theme. So, maybe if I defragment my hard drive up there I can gain some semblance of linear thought. Sorry you're being brought along for the ride.

1. Secretly, I think weathermen get a big kick out of bad weather. It gives them a chance to use their education and their training and have other people watch them. I'm from the Bob Dylan school of not needing a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

2. I wonder if all those people in my community who loaded up on bottled water and filled their cars up with gas were planning to share with their neighbors if needed or if they're looking out for number one. I want to believe the former, but I really believe the latter. Not only that, but it didn't even sprinkle here. It wouldn't bother me if this "severe drought" we're in ended, either...but there's no hope for rain for another week. I can't remember a time when Texas weather has worn me out as much as this summer.

3. I think we're getting what we deserve from Hollywood (the movie makers...not my old college roommate, although both may be true!). I watched a movie last night that I thought was well-done and very creative. Nobody went to watch it because it was dialogue driven and what most teenagers would call "slow." Nothing blew up. Nobody's naughty parts (thank you, Church Lady) were visible. By and large, people cared about each other. We simply went over a 7-year relationship in a creative way. Box office suicide.

4. I think the next 12 months are going to be a stern challenge to me professionally, emotionally, physically and existentially. All the evidence points that way, anyway.

5. My college football team is winning, and I don't seem to care too much. That's weird. My wife even mentioned that I should try to contact friends and maybe get tickets to the big rivalry game...and the thought of it annoyed me rather than excited me. I have no idea why I reacted that way considering just going there when nothing's going on excites me...and to go there on the High Holy Day of the Auburn-Alabama football game should've caused some sort of blood pressure/heart rate rise.

6. Many of you know that I truly enjoy the daily miracle that is the newspaper. I found out yesterday that one of the papers in my hometown went out of business yesterday...which ended the "two paper" town. I believe that having two competing papers in a town is good because they usually have differing slants which gets people thinking. I don't think most people read a newspaper very much these days...they get news off the internet.

7. The loathed Yankees are in danger of not making the playoffs. There are some 7 games left and it would make me very happy to see them lose 5 of those and sit home with their $200 million payroll. Why do I get so much pleasure out of the potential failure of that one particular team?

8. This is a very weird way to start a Sunday morning. My mind is in a million places at once and really going nowhere. Strange...but I gotta go to work anyway.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home