Saturday, June 25, 2005

Awww, We Want Da Funk...Gotta Have Some Funk, Awww

It's been very interesting to consider how people have responded to my talking about the "funk" I was in for a few weeks. Colleagues told me I shouldn't blog about it. Congregation members told me various methods to get out of the funk. Friends told me they were praying for me. Others told me I should pick myself up by my own bootstraps and suck it up. I was forwarded several e-mail articles.

It should be known that I expected all the above. Each instance was taken as a caring attempt to help me out so none of them were offensive or misconstrued. No offense taken...in fact, most of the time the attempts reinforced that the person actually cared about me. Who doesn't quietly enjoy that?

What's puzzling me today are two lines of thought: Mike Yaconelli, noted inspirational figure for me, talks about how when people stop pretending (in their spiritual life) then other people who are pretending get exposed. That's a good thing, right?

Then, I read Gordon Atkinson, a.k.a. "Real Live Preacher," on his blog on Wednesday, June 22, asking the question of "how much of your pastor do you really want to see? How well do you really want to know him/her?" There have to be some boundraries in the deal, right?

So, I'm asking...(because there might be some more thoughts I'd like to put out there in the future that may run deeper than some vague "funk")...where's the balance? Is there a balance? Should it be full-throttle and let the pieces fall where they may or should it be scaled back somehow?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home