Thursday, March 10, 2005

"Same Thing We Always Do, Pinky...Try To Take Over THE WORLD"

I know it isn't all that insightful, but I'm acutely aware of Starbucks coffee houses at the moment.

I read an article in the Dallas Morning News today about a band my friend Wes introduced who go by the name The Afters. They're all up-and-coming and from the area, hence the article. Anyway, the lead singer was a barista and they met their band mates at their Starbucks. The guy met his wife at that Starbucks. They are a band in which all the members are Christians (though not necessarily a "Christian" band), so eternal things took place in that coffee shop.

Yesterday, I met with a teenager at Starbucks to talk about something serious. She wants to have a genuine walk with God and had honest questions about that. Eternal things were afoot at the coffee shop.

On other occasions, I meet with other youth ministers at that local Starbucks. Well, with the astonishing turnover rate of youth ministers in our area, I really only meet with one youth minister consistently at that Starbucks...but still, we talk about our ministries and sometimes spend time in the Word together. Eternal things have been afoot at the coffee shop.

I often meet with teenagers who I firmly believe will do more for the Kingdom of God that I ever will at one of two Starbucks locations. They are gifted and talented beyond measure, and they make my life more abundant by being in it. In many ways they are revolutionaries. Eternal things are afoot at the coffee shop.

Please don't construe this as an ad for Starbucks, but I'm intrigued by the idea that God is using a MegaConglomerate for the furthering of His Kingdom...maybe I'm wrong, but maybe there's something eternal afoot at the Starbucks...

Or maybe I just drink to much coffee and have to justify the expense account...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home