Monday, April 26, 2004

Stirring Up The Pot

The sermon yesterday went well...at least from my perspective (except maybe the 4th service).

Rabbit Trail #1: Many of you have NO IDEA how much tired head you can get from preaching the same sermon 4 times in 12 hours. It makes me wonder how people like professional speakers or stand-up comedians or touring bands play with the same passion and enthusiasm night after night for like, 6 months.

I did what the pony-tailed youth pastor is supposed to do: I stirred up the pot. It's pretty cool to be the one the your congregation expects to be "out there" so you can get away with the more controversial points than the senior pastor.

Rabbit Trail #2: Why is it that Rush Limbaugh listeners can't take a joke? Jeez. Make a crack about Jesus not wanting us to all be clean-cut, Repbulican Rush Limbaugh listeners and spend 15 freaking minutes talking about having unity among diversity and get first thing this morning I get a few e-mails from the Dittoheads defending their hero. Of course, I should probably be more sensitive and celebrate the diversity myself, eh?

Speaking of celebrating the diversity...the music minister at my church, in my honor, had a whole medley of praise songs done in COUNTRY BLUEGRASS fashion. Pretty funny when I think about it.

Anyway, I am not a big fan of pulpit time...and it truly is a stretch for me and I guess it helps me grow, but I don't enjoy it. My congregation is nice and they encourage me, though.

Not that I'm presumptuous enough to think you would like to hear it (some of you might), but you'll be able to get the sermon on-line (I think) sometime this week...usually it's up by noon on Tuesday. Try Crossroadsbible.org and then click on "listen to the sermons" if you're interested.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home