Wednesday, February 04, 2004

Shoe Shine

I shined my shoes yesterday.

Lest any of you think I actually have some businessman shoes or even some loafers, think again. Against all my punk rock proclivities, I shined my Doc Martin 9-holers. I know, I know...but back in the day Sid Vicious wasn't paying over $100 for them, either. So, both the company and myself have sold out. Gotta take care of my investment.

Anyway, I hauled off and got the official shoe polish of the world, Kiwi, and then got out the old shoe shine box that was my maternal grandfather's. Somehow my dad wound up with it. After his death, that box made it past college years, 7 moves, and 7 years past that. It's one of those wooden container boxes with an angled footrest on the top that shoeshine boys used to carry (at least that's what black and white movies show me).

Inside was this electric buffer made by Sears. It has two speeds and two detachable round, rotating buffers. I swear the thing has to be at least 30 years old.

Kudos to Hanes for making the old t-shirt I used to apply the polish. Kudos to Kiwi for apparently cornering the market on shoe polish (there's probably a reason they have, too). Final Kudos to Sears for long-term quality and performance of their shoe buffing products.

They all made my day a little more fun. There's definitely something cool about walking around after a shoe shine...even if they are Docs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home