Saturday, January 24, 2004

Home Movies

Our family needed a break last night. A normal week of school/activities behind us and a Saturday night sleep over in front of the girls...plus Tracy had been painting the new art & dance studio we're creating for the girls (well, Tracy is creating, I'm more the executive producer) and was exhausted.

So, we busted out the home movies...and I loved it.

To me, there's a certain "big picture" element that never gets old. You know, the recorded history of the girls being born and their first steps and other precious moments and how young our parents looked and how young we looked and all that (not to mention a 12-year-old fashion conscious daughter feeling the need to give commentary on stuff like, "Oh, Dad, nice glasses." or "What was Mom thinking with THAT hairstyle?")

It's the "background" stuff that struck me last night. That scene in the nursery that showed where we goofed on measuring the wallpaper border which made one corned looked like a teddy bear was smooshed into it. The cassette tape of Offspring (a 90's punk band for those of you out of that loop) playing in the background and me flippantly asking Tracy, "How great are these guys?" The television shows that were on while we were goofing with the girls (the Braves playoff run of 91, anyone?). Looking at our "fixer-upper" first home and recalling the discussion of why we chose "that checkerboard floor." The stuff we forgot like the time I was asked by the local PTA to be the dunkee in the fund-raising dunking booth. The old couch I loved and she loathed. The time I did a poor imitation of Dana Carvey doing an great portrayal of Bush, Sr. for a church skit. The golf tournament when I was on a team with my old pastor and us hamming it up because video cameras were new. How great our first yard looked. The backyard swingset the girls were playing on recalling the story of how it almost killed me. I could go on but you get the idea.

I think I've decided that it isn't the big picture events that make life so enjoyable but rather the appreciation of the smaller moments...and that normalcy is pretty great in the big scheme of things.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home