Saturday, August 20, 2011

Mind Vitamins from Alan Hirsch

So, yeah. Um, I read the book The Forgotten Ways by Alan Hirsch and well, let's just say that little Kindle purchase and the highlight feature has caused me plenty of time away from the blog. Anyway, here's a few quotes from the book for your consideration:
"To say this more explicitly, there is no such thing as sacred and secular in biblical worldview. It can conceive of no part of the world that does not come under the claim of Yahweh's lordship. All of life belongs to God, and true holiness means bringing all the spheres of life under God."

"...I have come to believe that the viability of our faith is that of consumerism. This is far more heinous and insidious challenge to the gospel, because in so many ways it infects each and every one of us."

"Dynamic movements always have a transformative vision for society, and that puts them in tension with it."

"Christianity is at its very best when it is on the more chaotic fringes. It is when the church settles down, and moves away from the edge of chaos, that things go awry."

So, yeah. I realize they're out of context, but yo can tell the book is about affecting change in the status quo of the current situation the church "lives" in? Well, yeah. I have MUCH more to say on this subject, but I thought I'd at least throw these out there for your consumption to chew on until I can crystallize my thinking on SO much of what I'm reading about the state of play in the North American Church in 2011.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home