Saturday, March 05, 2011

So, yeah...

I started taking this course on creativity and bringing it out in you.

And you aren't supposed to read ahead and you're only supposed to one chapter at a time and all that. Say what you want about me, but when I undertake something, I do it exactly the way it's supposed to be done.

Each week there are these little exercises and such to help you get rid of any kind of creativity "blocks." You know, like writer's block or whatever. It's been kind of fun so far as there are these little surprises in the curriculum that do try to "unblock" you.

This week's little surprise: Except what's ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY for your job (which, this week for me is one Bible study prep time...most weeks it's 3)...

...NO READING.

No newspapers.
No web pages for reading...or blogs and stuff.
No social networking, like Facebook and Twitter.
No magazines.
No novels.
No anything.

The stupid chapter anticipated my arguments and refuted them in short order.

So that means the little essay series that I started is probably kaput. I can't imagine it bothers the 30 of you reading this thing every day, though. No comments in an entire week? Yeah. It was probably time to give it up, anyway.

So, starting tonight at midnight, no reading for a week.

For me.

For the first time in probably 15 years I won't finish a book in...

a week.

Oh, man. Kind of a little mini Fat Tuesday for me tonight, I guess.

See ya next Sunday.

5 Comments:

Anonymous kris said...

I'll be praying for ya. ;)

btw, does it elaborate on WHY you must give up the unnecessaries? Taking out distractions?

6:53 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Fun! What exactly is this course you're taking? And sorry about no comments...I end up catching up about once a week on blogs, and after reading several posts in a row, well, I'm tired. :-) Happy week of no reading!

6:56 PM  
Anonymous Laurie said...

Wow. I don't think I'd make it a week. I mean, even if I don't have an actual book in front of me, I end up reading the cereal box or something. What are you going to do?? Close your eyes when you pass a billboard? Does that count?

7:08 PM  
Blogger Schweers' Mom said...

I couldn't do it. No way, no how.

2:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read it, my dad and brother read it a few times a week. I guess I'll read my Sunday school and Mini church lessons over again instead of whatever you post. I hope your week of no reading is beneficial! But I think you're creative as it is! -Annabelle's Mom

10:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home