Saturday, January 10, 2009

Saturday Morning Update...

The weekend upcoming: Fighting through a vicious chest cold or flu (not sure which)...so my usual Saturday routine of taking the ballerinas to Fort Worth and hanging out at Starbucks getting lots of reading done or sermon-listening catching up on some Bible studies or whatever else I might want to do with 5 hours has had the kibosh put on it. From the looks of today, the major accomplishment will be to shower, shave, brush teeth and watch football. Of course, I might get some reading done or sermon listening if my brain can focus.

Where I am at the moment: Confused, mostly. Bewildered, some. I happen to be in what Dr. Suess calls "a most useless place": The waiting place. Where people are just waiting. Waiting for a train to go, or a bus to come, or a plane to go
or the mail to come, or the rain to go, or the phone to ring, or the snow to snow, or waiting around for a Yes or a No, or waiting for their hair to grow. Everyone is just waiting. Waiting for the fish to bite, or waiting for wind to fly a kite, or waiting around for Friday night, or waiting, perhaps, for their Uncle Jake, or a pot to boil, or a Better Break, or a sting of pearls, or a pair of pants, or a wig with curls, or Another Chance. Everyone is just waiting. Sometimes, I really think all any kid ever needs to deal with life is the complete Dr. Suess library, the DVD box set of Sesame Street, and for grins, the Looney Toons DVD complete collection.

On my to-do list this week: Survive well enough to get through Sunday responsibilities of teaching/pastoring. Walk through the Real Teen's Bible Conference with Charlie. Go to Pine Cove No Agenda Weekend...one of the biggest deals for our high school ministry!

Procrastinating about: There are several conversations I need to have that all have the potential to go haywire in varieties of ways. Maybe this flu is helping with timing.

Book I’m in the midst of: Why We're Not Emergent (By Two Guys Who Should Be), by Kevin DeYoung & Ted Kluck. A really good read, and frankly, I agree with them on a lot of things, mostly on their desire for doctrinal clarity.

Music that seemed to catch my attention this past week: With the bowl games afoot and NFL playoffs, much of my music time has been spent listening to sports talk radio (we have one of the nation's best here in Dallas). But I've been fascinated by the Raconteurs ever since I got both of their CD's on Christmas Day. They've been splitting time in the changer.

Next trip: Pine Cove with the high schoolers for work. Las Vegas in February as I get to tag along on my wife's work. She works, I play on that one! Hopefully a trip in late spring to go see my new nephew a bit after he's born and the dust settles.

How I’m feeling about this week: Hoping I shake this flu thing ASAP. If that happens, I'm golden!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home