Thursday, August 07, 2008

So, Today I'm Thinking...

...Favre? A Jet?
...Pudge? A Yankee?
...that this morning I just needed some new music. Ever felt that way?
...that this is going to be a big year for everybody in the McKinney family. A lot of our long-term questions will be answered and options will be clarified by this time next year.
...my friend Bailey is headed off for Auburn University today. Just chatting with her about her getting her ID and schedule and football tickets and her wondering about sorority rush brought back a flood of memories.
...I'm about ready for Kid2 to come back home. Sure, she's having fun in D.C. as a guest artist at Kennedy Center, seeing the Lion King live and touring museums and getting incredible ballet instruction, but I'd like to lay eyes on that kid. Remember when all you did in the summer was play in the sprinkler?
...listening to my friend Bonnye's day yesterday (props to our spontaneous movie buddies!) about going to her college advisors to double check her class credits to make sure she's on schedule to graduate brought back a flood of memories.
...scheduling two week-long vacations four weeks apart can really force you to focus to stay motivated for the 10 office days you'll be having between them.
...Just like I like the biker rally guys, I really like the spirit/attitude of the guys at Skatopia. They open their park to skateboarders who only have to work at the place for an hour or two and let it rip. No cost. Just let it rip. It's like the Sturgess Burning Man of the skateboard world. There's going to be a movie made about it.
...if you're not on Facebook, you're really missing out on a lot of "community." I'm getting back in touch with all sorts of former students that were in my ministry nearly 20 years ago. Not to mention keeping up with people I run into every day. I like it.
...and that's good to see especially when you see that fruit of your labor so vividly developed over that time. Especially on a day when you wonder if what you do does any good at all.
...that one of the best things in the world is when your daughter drops by your office and wants to go to lunch and then she fills you in on pretty much everything going on in her world & gives you all sorts of good, honest insights.
...that I don't think my neighbors pay any attention at all to our town's watering restrictions. This makes me go in and double check the website thinking that I'm the one that has it goofed up.
...that nobody leaves phone messages any more. They just hang up when they hear the voice mail. Well, except salespeople or mass marketers. And, the only reason we have a land line anymore is because it's in the package with other stuff we use and the only people that call that are telemarketers.
...it was funny last night at the movies watching most every teenage girl in our community contribute to the selling out of "Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2." We were eating on an outside patio & there were no couples heading to the theatre, only females.
...resolved: Diet & exercise start when we get back from vacation 2. Seems pretty pointless to start before that.
...that my e-team (a group of guys that get together every two weeks to just read the Bible & talk about what it says and how we can apply it) had one of the best discussions yesterday. Real. Transparent. And Titus 3, where it talks about how Christians should interact with "the world," was the fuel. Practical stuff. And, we have room for 2 or 3 more guys. The only membership requirements are that you should have the personality trait that others might describe as "riff raff," and that you can meet at IHOP at 6AM every other week--ending sharply at 7. Unless, of course, like yesterday, you decide to keep talking about stuff.
...that tomorrow I'll start a series of entries about the transition taking place at my church that involves my professional life.
...that today I need to get on with it. Manalive am I ever having trouble with the get-up-and-go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home