Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Open Notices:

To my best friend from high school (and frequent Diner patron) Hal: You owe Kid1 a dinner the next time you're in town. Remember betting her that the little band she discovered and likes, Bullets and Octane, wouldn't be around for another year? Yeah. They have a song in the recently released movie "Drillbit Taylor." Kid1 and I made surprised eye contact when we heard it right in the middle of the show.

To the dad at an outdoor mall: I'm pretty sure I didn't get the little diatribe verbatim, but let me see if I got the gist of it, okay? As you were yelling this into your mobile phone at your wife these words (I've taken the liberty to PG-13 'em)..."This is b.s.!!! This is b.s.!!! You say that you're going to effen pick us up at 5-effen-20 then you better be here at 5-effen-20!!!" I (and a handful of others) was about 20 yards away and heard every word. I'm fairly certain that your 10-year-old son has likely registered that this is acceptable behavior in your world. Don't be surprised if you see it again from him, sir. I'll be surprised if you make the connection when he does.

To the folks who are putting together the Outside Lands Music & Arts Festival in San Francisco in August (to which Kid1 and I are attending provided we can get tickets, which go on sale Sunday at noon): When you add Beck, Wilco & Widespread Panic to a list that already included Tom Petty, Radiohead and Jack Johnson, well, let's just say the end of summer is looking quite enjoyable.

To the lady who was talking on a cell phone while flicking her cigarette ashes out her car window: You know, when you do those actions simultaneously, you don't have a hand on the wheel, right? Your truck might have a tendency to drift, right? So, when I get startled and reactively move my grocery cart closer to my car, I'm not sure that I deserved getting honked at and given the middle finger. I mean, there are times when I likely do deserve that, but this wasn't one of them. Really.

To the folks at the Dallas Morning News: That new font style & size, plus the "cleaner" look you fired up in today's edition was a good business decision. I'm concerned, though. It looks great to me. It was more easily readable. It was brighter. But I'm concerned because newspapers are dying and readership is, ahem, older. Middle-age struck again when improvements for those with diminishing eyesight were made and I liked it!

To the dude who had three bumper stickers on his car: One from a Christian radio station...fair enough--rock on with that. One that said, "They took prayer out of schools and THEN SANG GOD BLESS AMERICA!" Now I'm not sure who "they" are but I don't think the group that sang God bless America (presumably after Nine-Eleven) had anything at all to do with Murray v. Curlett (1963) or Abington Township v. Schempp (1963), either. And the last one read, "Are You As Close To Jesus As You Are To My Bumper?" Well, while the sentiment appears nice, it falls short. I mean, unless your bumper was INSIDE my car. Then it'd work.

To the lady at the bookstore in Lewisville: That was really excellent customer service. You don't see it much these days, and it was appreciated. I was going to say so to the manager, but it turns out you were the shift manager at that time. So, shouts out to the Barnes & Noble in Lewisville!

To Major League Baseball: The first official game in the 2008 season is a game in JAPAN? Really? Listen, they're already into U.S. baseball. Just play a few exhibition games there and let that be that. The Great Game should never begin off of U.S. soil.

To everyone in America: Please stop watching shows that start out with a certain number of people and then get voted off each week. There's just way too many of them and they don't seem to be getting better. Especially if they involve dancing or singing or marriage or getting a job or a modeling opportunity. You can pick two. Ånd only two. It's the only way to stop them from proliferating.

To my church family at Crossroads: Thanks so much for a wonderful celebration of The Resurrection. I truly enjoy Easter with my CBC family. I just like the vibe on that day, man.

Any open notices from the patrons today?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home