Saturday, August 23, 2003

Proof that I have the best job in the world, Reason #4398.

My most vivid memory of him: When he was 16, I snuck him in to a youth-pastors-only lunch with a popular band going by the name DC Talk. I checked him out of school to do it, too. He was the worship leader for our high school ministry at the time and was able to ask a question one-on-one with a real rock star. The question he asked was about advice the band's lead singer would give to someone who wanted to lead worship.

My most vivid memory of her: She was a high school junior in a school drama production of "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat." She had a minor part, but she took over the stage. Teachers call it "stage presence" and even early on everybody could see that she had it not only on stage, but just walking through life.

My most vivid memory of them together: She was the happiest bride I've ever seen. He was fighting some sort of bug, but still couldn't have been more excited to be marrying her. Their wedding was so much fun...largely because they were having so much fun.

After a brief stint of her putting him through the last semester of school, and a summer of training, they are off. So now, with degrees in hand that will be more valuable for the life-experience gained than on the open market, they are off on a year-long mission to the Czech Republic. Today, 1PM, from LAX.

The reason I have the best job in the world? I got to, in the words of Paul, "plant." Many others watered. God caused the growth. And MANALIVE have they grown. Words fail me when I try to describe to others the fun of digging-in-the-dirt planting, and the joy of seeing others water, and watching God cause growth. And it is rare to see the process as vividly as I do in those two.

So, Mike and Katie, Godspeed. Live your lives as a spiritual sacrifice of worship with amazing stage presence over there in Europe, okay? Friends like you are inspiring.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home